If you ask any blogger what they wish they had known when they started blogging, most of them will tell you that they wish they had set up an e-mail list sooner. I have heard this so many times, and you wouldn’t even believe the number of small buisness owners (ahem, Etsy shop owners) who have no e-mail list at all, and don’t know how to start one. If you’re a blogger or business owner yourself, you absolutely need a strong email list. However, you might be wondering HOW to grow your email list. Not only does your list serve the purpose of being able to reach all your readers and customers super quickly and efficiently, but it’s also a great way to communicate any new content, sales, or promotions to everyone on your email list all at one time. And the beauty of having an email list for your blog or business? That unless they unsubscribe on their own, each time that you send something out to them, they are going to get it and read your offer, and your message. Talk about a great way to get your content or products out to your audience!
This post contains affiliate links. I only recommend products or services I use and love.
Looking for a few simple steps on how to build your email list? Here are some suggestions on how to make it happen!
How to Grow Your Email List
- Give something away for free. Who doesn’t love free? A great free digital product makes it irresistible for people to sign up for your email list. Create a free online template or resource that people will want to sign up for. Budget sheets, blank to-do lists, or fun printables are just a few great ideas to give away to everyone who signs up for your email list. These are called “opt-ins” and the better your opt-in is, the more email subscribers you’ll get.
- Offer a coupon discount if you have a store. Your potential customers will gladly sign up for your email list in exchange for a discount on your products.
- Utilize social media to promote your email opt-in. By sharing your opt-in on social media, you’ll convert your social media followers to email subscribers.
- Have an option on your site for visitors to subscribe to your email list. Don’t forget the power of SEO and keywords sending people to your site. And if they happen to stumble upon your website and love what they see, you need to capture them for your list. Having an option for them to sign up for your newsletter on your site is an important part of growing your email list! If you are a blogger, don’t just put your email list in your sidebar, add an option for them to sign up right inside of your content in exchange for that great opt-in offer.
- Network with other sites and blogs. As an online blogger or business owner, you can really grow your list and subscriber base by collaborating with another blogs or businesses within your niche. It can be a great way to get exposure for your site and to grow your email list quickly!
Growing your email list for your blog or business is pretty simple. Create yourself a great opt-in offer and see how that changes your new subscriber rate. Remember, it won’t happen overnight, but if you are persistent in your efforts, it will pay off and your subscribers will increase! Don’t give up and keep thinking of new and inventive ways to capture your audience!
If you are looking for a great platform to host your e-mail list, I love Mailerlite. I’ve used a few different mailing list options, from Mailchimp (don’t recommend at all) to Convert Kit. While Convert Kit is a great option, I’ve found Mailerlite to be more user-friendly for someone like me who isn’t all that tech-savvy, and it is a lot less expensive with all of the same functionality. I don’t see myself ever using anyone but Mailerlite.
For Etsy help, I’ve also got a free e-course on How to Start an Etsy Shop. You’ll also get my printable Etsy SEO guide, too!
I hope that this was helpful for you and that you have “start an e-mail list” right at the top of your to-do list now. It will absolutely make a huge difference in your blog or business, and your profits.